August 20, 2009

Spotlight on SC Member: Houston Stapp

Houston, like all members is a valuable member of the Studio Calico community. I particularly like her for her GREAT name and comedic sense of humour. I set some questions to her and asked her to share two of her favourite layouts. So, lets get to know Houston:

Who are you and where do you hail?
I'm Houston Stapp from Denver, Colorado... at least I was the last time I checked.

How long have you been a member of Studio Calico?
I joined Studio Calico in January of 2009, after spending several months drooling over my friend Emily's Kits.

How did you hear about Studio Calico?
I heard about SC from my sweet friend Emily Pitts, I was always checking out her latest kits.

What do you love most about the kit?
I love the exclusive SC papers, they are the number one reason that I joined, that first set with the maps just had to be mine! I'm holding onto one sheet still, I can't bring myself to cut it up.

Share with us your favourite layout you made with a Studio Calico kit
My favorite layout made with an SC kit is my Gram layout, this one was a labor of love with all the fussy cutting involved but it's full of meaning for me, each of those frames with the little pictures corresponds to a favorite memory I have of my time with her. This layout was also the first one I used homemade "thickers" on... it's acid free foam cut with QuicKutz!

Share with us your bestest ever layout.
Hmmm... my bestest? In my opinion it's Sing Like You Mean It. The design is clean and simple with a few little quirky touches. I love this layout.

How do you store your kit?
I store my SC kits in the big 2gallon zipper bags. I write the date and name of the kit on the front of the bag and then I put them in a shopping basket that I keep beside my desk chair. SC kits are always the first thing I grab when I begin a layout.

Here is a picture of Houstons scrap room:

Whats your thought process when scrapping?
I want each layout to take my family back to the moment being depicted. I choose the papers and embellishments to convey the mood of the photos. My process looks something like this... print photos, choose products, cut and layout, move it around, add something else, move it around again, and again, and again... when it's finally looks the way I envisioned I glue it down and journal.

Whats you top scrapbook tip?
Don't worry about everything being perfectly straight! The first time I scrapped with Lisa (Blue Star Design) I was shocked by her crooked photos! I'm to the point now where it doesn't feel quite right if everything is straight. It's freeing.

Who or what inspires you?
I get loads of inspiration from the SC Design Team & Gallery, my scrappy friends, magazine ads, songs I hear on the radio, and sometimes just by looking out the window!

If you could be a sheet of scrapbook paper, which one would you be?
I would have to be the paper from Jenni Bowlin that has the bird and blossoms on the right hand side. That is my all time favorite sheet of paper! It's simple, peaceful and perfect!

If you could add anything into a forthcoming kit, what supply would you select?
I would choose some QuicKutz cork or metal sheets, it's amazing what you can do with them. I know that all the ladies at SC would come up with some brilliant creations!

Name one thing we might not know about you?
I hate to drive at night. It totally wigs me out! I'm that annoying lady going slow in the right lane.

Thank you, Houston :)
You can read Houstons blog here

It has also been recently announced that Houston has recently been selected from hundreds of entries to be a Quickutz Ambassador - WOOOOOOOO! Congratulations!

5 comments:

Emily Pitts said...

YAY! it's so fun to see houston's scraproom. it's so CLEAN. thanks for the interview kirsty :)

*reyanna* said...

Ooh! Loved getting to know Houston better. And I loved seeing a few of her favorite layouts! :) Thank you SO much for sharing!

Houston said...

Thanks girls! Oh and Em my room looks so different... read messy... most of the time!

Rachel Carlson said...

cheers to houston! and i have seen that room on a different day - tee, hee.

Ronda Palazzari said...

love houston! She is such an amazing person!